Wednesday, October 24, 2012

MyFitnessPal= MyNewBestFriend


So I just got in from the gym and as I was recording my meals for tomorrow I decided I wanted to share my new discovery with all of you- MyFitnessPal. 

The best way I can keep on track with my diet is by recording it.  I've used different apps on my blackberry, mac, or good old paper and pen! But the BEST app by far that I have found is MyFitnessPal!

I would recommend it to anyone.  It is simple, connects the app from your phone to your computer and it's food database is unbelievable! You can find basically any brand of food you're looking for.

This is not just another calorie counter, it is your gym partner, nutritionalist and motivator!  This app is very handy on your phones (Blackberry's too ;) ) and syncs with your computer when you log in!

Some of the amazing benefits:

1.Input your goal and it will help you reach that by determining your caloric intake for the day in order to lose a certain amount of weight (in a healthy time period).

2. As mentioned before, this is not just another calorie counting app.  It breaks down for you what your body needs including protein, fat, carbs and vitamins.  When you input your food into your diary it categorizes it. This is great if you want to minimize carb intake, check on your fat and not to mention your calories!
* This is a screen shot of someone's MyFitnessPal's account. Great layout, and again FREE! :)

3. If you don't have the nutritional information for something, their database more than likely has it! That is one major benefit with this app compared to it's competitions which I found very limiting.

4. Stay away from "I don't have time". I used to be like that and some of my friends say the same thing, but what has helped me is inputting your food the night before on your computer. This way you are ready for the next day, can adjust your meals accordingly so that by the end of the day you don't have to go over or even worse, starve! Plus, if you need to make alterations you can on your phone :) For those of you who still think you don't have time, this takes minutes! Especially once you start to build your own database of foods you frequently eat.

5. It keeps you on track with your goals. Not only does it give you what you need to eat in order to meet your goals, but at the end of each day you can click on " complete this entry" at the bottom of your diary and it tells you how much you will lose if "every day is like today" in 5 weeks! This for me is a major motivational tool.  I know what I want to lose and where I want to be in a few weeks, but to have a daily reminder that I am on track with my progress is amazing!

6. You exercise, MyFitnessPal rewards you! Input what you did at the gym or on your own and it will automatically alter your caloric intake, carbs, protein, etc for the day depending on what you exerted!

7. It's FREE! Maybe not all of you reading this are students, but for those of you who are and even those who aren't, this should appeal to your budget.  Even as an app on your phone, you don't pay a dime! I was quite surprised at how great the app works on my phone considering it's a freebie, I would have expected to pay for this one.

So what's stopping you? As I'm writing this I feel like I work for MyFitnessPal haha. I can assure you I don't but I am definitely addicted to it! If anything, it can open your eyes to how much you really are eating and how much fat and calories are in your food. 

School and work can take a lot out of us and it is so easy to let yourself fall into a slump.  There are many inspirational tools out there to help you, and MyFitnessPal is just one of them!

Get started tonight ;) and PLEASE comment, I'd love to hear your thoughts about the app! www.myfitnesspal.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment